The house had a wonderful sense of space but had to be updated with new electrical, lighting, insulation, plumbing, roofing, windows, and infloor heating. The bathrooms and kitchen were updated in a modern style to harmonize with the mid-century modern architecture.
Green Design Parameters
· Raise insulation levels to above building code requirements. Add adequate vapour barrier.
· Roof pitch low: Not enough space to insulate where roof meets walls. Add interior bulkheads to increase airflow and insulation capacity.
· Some cathedral ceilings: Add depth to existing rafters to allow for adequate insulation and air flow.
· Retain existing gas furnace, add HRV and hydronic infloor heat
· New Wood / Aluminum windows and doors. Low E Argon
· Stone tile flooring in living area to provide increased infloor heat efficiency, hardwood in bedrooms
· Tiled deck to prevent damage from west sun
· Add south facing windows to increase passive solar heat gain in winter